An ad hoc committee was set up by Church Council in 2009 to explore the possibility of St. Peter’s becoming an Affirming Congregation. In 2013, this process culminated in a resounding endorsement by the congregation that St. Peter’s become an Affirming Congregation, and our mission statement was revised to include “To foster a caring, inclusive and affirming church family”. An agreement was signed between the Réseau Access Network in Sudbury and the church to acknowledge the commitment to work as partners in the provision of services to members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Two Spirited communities. A service of celebration was held on June 23, 2013 with many special guests from Sudbury and area to mark this important and joyous milestone. Thanks were expressed to the committee members - Audrey Anderson, Richard Rainville, Glenn Legault, Marg Kechnie and Rev. Dawn Vaneyk - for their leadership in establishing this new area of outreach.
By choosing to become publicly known as an Affirming Congregation St. Peter's commits itself to the ongoing inclusion of lesbians, gay men, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people and their families in all areas of ministry and congregational life, including same gender marriages. To be in ministry to and with all involves an attitude of sensitivity and openness to the gifts and graces of each person in the body of Christ.
Current Activities (2015-16)
- Classroom Closet Conference participation (Rev. Dawn Vaneyk and Jackie Balleny)
- Expanded film and book library acquisitions related to LGBT perspectives.
- Placed an ad in Pride Guide introducing our church as an Affirming Congregation.
- Participated in the Pride Week march, with a St. Peter’s banner.
- Church youth contributed to the Réseau Access Network Red Scarf project.
- Arranged for a Lunch & Learn Event after the church service on Nov. 21 on the role of the Réseau Access Network in our community with Richard Rainville.
- Attended the “Opening Doors” Conference sponsored by the Réseau Access Network in Sudbury.
- Updated information packages available at the church on the Affirm ministry.
Rev. Dawn Vaneyk at the Pride Sunday service, June 2014
For further information, please contact a co- chair (Jackie Balleny or Cindy Watson) of the St. Peter’s Affirm United subcommittee through the church office.
For more information about Affirm United click here.